Updated: Dec 2, 2019
Does your osteoarthritis pain keep you up at night? Does it prevent you from being active and enjoying your day-to-day life?
Many people experience pain from osteoarthritis on a daily basis, affecting approximately 1.6 million Australians everyday.
Osteoarthritis is where the cartilage, bones, tendons and ligaments within the joints starts to wear down due to overuse over long periods of time. The common symptoms that people get from this 'wear and tear' are:
- Pain in the joint/s
- Swelling and stiffness of the affected joint/s
- Decreased range of motion and mobility
- Deformity of the affected joint (severe cases)
The most common places for osteoarthritis is in the hip, knee, fingers, lower back and neck. Recently in the clinic I have been treating many patients that have been seeking out treatment regarding osteoarthritis of the hips, knees and fingers, gaining success in pain management and increasing range of motion.
Im thinking your next questions is 'but how can acupuncture help me and my osteoarthritis?" Its easy!
1. Pain - Acupuncture works in many ways to decrease pain within the body. Acupuncture targets the central nervous system, regulating the neural pathways and increasing blood flow and vasodilation within the region of pain.
2. Range of Motion - Range of motion of the joint is commonly affected with osteoarthritis and may leave you limping or unable to throw a tennis ball. Acupuncture can increase the range of motion by freeing up the muscles around the joint, decreasing the inflammation of the joint and increasing blood flow to the joint, giving it the ability to move more freely.
3. Inflammation- Through extensive research, acupuncture has been seen to down regulate specific inflammatory receptors that correspond to osteoarthritis and musculoskeletal conditions. By decreasing inflammation within the affected joint, this will contribute to decreasing pain as well as swelling and stiffness of the joint.
If you are wanting to see some feedback from patients regards successful pain management of osteoarthritis with acupuncture, click here.
If you have any further questions regarding acupuncture and how it could help you manage pain from osteoarthritis or any other pain feel welcome to email me.
If you are wanting further information on arthritis itself please see Pain Australia
Give acupuncture for arthritis a go on the Central Coast!